It’s that time of year again . . . summer! Lexington is full of fun things to do during the summer months. If you are looking for exciting things to do such as enjoying live music, free movies, art, family fun, then you will find it here in Lexington.
Every Thursday night, head over to Fifth Third Bank Pavilion at Cheapside Park for Thursday Night Live featuring food, drinks and a different live band each week. Looking for something fun to do with your kids as a family?
- May 29-June 26: Free Friday Flicks at Jacobson Park is a good way to spend time together as a family where you can enjoy children’s games, a petting zoo and a movie . . . for free.
- July 10 – August 14, 2015: Once Free Friday Flicks ends, make your way over to Triangle Park for Fountain Films on Friday to watch more free movies where you can as a family or you could also take advantage of Parent’s Night Out two of the scheduled nights so that the parents can watch a movie as a couple while the kids still enjoy activities such as making crafts, hearing stories or spending time in the Explorium.
- July 9-19, 2015: Don’t forget about the Lexington Lions’ Club Bluegrass Fair, where there are plenty of things to do, like rides and games and delicious food, to enjoy as a family.
- More info: Lexington Lions’ Club Bluegrass Fair
- Location: 3051 Leestown Rd, Lexington, KY 40511
- August 28-30, 2015: There’s also Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey’s Circus Legends playing at Rupp Arena, which includes lots of mythical, legendary creatures for the whole family to enjoy together.
- For tickets and info: Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey’s Circus Legends
If you prefer quiet nights enjoying the arts, there are quite a few events and locations to choose from.
- June 6 – August 29, 2015: TheDLC Artist Market coincides weekly with the Lexington Farmer’s Market on the courthouse lawn.
- More Info: DLC Artist Market info
- August 15-16, 2015: The Woodland Art Fair is an award-winning art fair, where you can shop 200 artists, enjoy live music and food, and create your own family art- all with free admission.
- More info: Woodland Art Fair info
Performance art is also a great way to get out in Lexington. The Lexington Opera House is naturally an ideal setting for all kinds of performing arts events with complete technical services available.
- July 23-26: 42nd Street
- September 8: Steve Earle
- September 18: Black Jacket Symphony
- September 25-27: Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
- Get Tickets and Info: Lexington Opera House info
Take the kids over to the Lexington Children’s Theatre for more fun performances such as The Wizard of Oz. LCT creates imaginative compelling theatre experiences for young people and families.
- July 16-26: Wizard of Oz
- September 13-25: The Adventures of Madeline
- Tickets and More info: www.lctonstage.org
Summer is also a great opportunity to enjoy great live theatre outdoors with Summerfest at the Moondance Amphitheatre. SummerFest is Lexington’s only vital and compelling Outdoor Summer Theatre experience. We have seen two and three generations of many families out under the stars, enjoying a picnic basket, perhaps a little wine, and some of the best theatre that this area has to offer.
- July 9–12 and July 23–26: Monty Python’s Spamalot
- July 16–19 and July 30–August 2: William Shakespeare’s The Comedy of Errors
- For info and tickets: Summerfest info
Concerts are also popular during the summer months and if live music is on your list of things to do, then there are many live events to choose from this summer. At Rupp Arena the following summer concerts are scheduled:
Looking for live music, Bourbon bars, a place to dance or just to hang out and watch the game while you are visiting Lexington? Smaller venues offer a variety of other artists to listen to:
- Natasha’s Bistro: New American spot with an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet plus regular evening music & theater events.
- Willies Locally Known: Down-to-earth hot spot for barbecue & wings served with a side of live music in bluegrass country.
- Phoenix Park: TAKE IT DOWNTOWN… to the heart of Lexington for another series of free outdoor concerts… WUKY’s Phoenix Fridays 2015. All four shows take place the 3rd Friday of May through August in Phoenix Park at the corner of Main & Limestone. “Gates open” at 5PM with live music from 5:30 to 9:30.
- Two Keys Tavern: On any given night, folks congregate for everything from live bands to comedy night, televised sports events, a few rounds of pool, tasty pub fare, and even pep rallies for the Horsemen (Lexington’s arena football home team).
- Al’s Bar: The no-frills place is ideal for enjoying frosty brews, delicious burgers, and other tasty fare crafted from local ingredients. Live music is also a weekly staple, and as the clientele grows, so does esteem for Al’s.
- August 22-23: And don’t forget the Crave Lexington Food & Music Festival at Masterson Station Park Fairgrounds, featuring free admission, dozens of local food and drink vendors and two days of diverse live music and other programming, Crave has quickly grown into a favorite event for families, friends, foodies and more.
- More info: Crave Lexington info
A few other attractions that are a must-see in Lexington include the
Because Lexington is the Horse Capital of the World, a few good places to visit where there are many events to enjoy year round.
These are just a few things that Lexington has planned for the summer of 2015. Please come find out for yourself all that Lexington has to offer!