The temperatures and the leaves are falling, schools are back in session and the scent of freshly baked apple and pumpkin pies are in the air. It’s Fall in the Bluegrass, and there’s no better way to celebrate this season than watching UK Football on Saturdays, whether from your sofa, at your tailgate party or even in the midst of the action at the UK Commonwealth Stadium.
The season started on August 30, 2014 and will go to at least December 6th, with many predictions already being made. “The Wildcats are tough to figure out this year due to the expectation that the offensive and defensive schemes will further evolve from last season and because so many players are different for the Cats this year.” – WildCatBlueNation.com
Despite the wins or losses, the tail-gate as well as home/pub parties will abound…
How do you plan a successful tail-gate party?
- Invite friends who already have tickets to the game.
- Make sure you have a car/truck large enough to bring your supplies and host your party.
- Organize a list of food and drinks you and your friends will bring.
- Check the rules of the venue regarding alcoholic beverages, glass containers and kegs. If you do bring alcohol, drink responsibly and make plans to stay locally if you are not in a position to drive after the game. (See hotel information below.)
- Make sure the menu is also kid-friendly if there will be minors along.
- Keep the menu somewhat simple so you are not spending the entire time cooking and preparing the food. Cook the food ahead if possible, like sandwiches, chili, buffalo wings, mac and cheese. If you plan to cook burgers and hot dogs, make sure you have permission to use a small portable grill.
- Don’t forget all the necessary items: condiments, paper plates, utensils, napkins, cleaning supplies, trash bags, and ice.
- Safety items such as first aid kits, sweaters and coats when the temperature drops at night, safety lights, and warm beverages too.
- Get to the parking lot early so you have a good location and ample space for your party.
- Keep it simple, be safe and clean up after you leave.
Bluegrass Tailgating Recipes
Here are some local flavors that can be added to your UK Football Tailgating Party:
- Kentucky Beer Cheese Salsa Dip
- Kentucky Baby Hot Browns
- Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Beer Cheese
- Bluegrass Crab Cake Sandwich
- A Full Kentucky Wildcats Menu from Southern Living
- Maker’s Mark® Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- A list of Kentucky Proud® Appetizer Recipes using Kentucky Proud Products
- A list of Kentucky Breweries that would be a great accompaniment to your tail-gate party menu.
Make Plans for your UK Wildcats Football Season in Lexington KY
If you’re traveling driving or flying distance to Lexington to see the Wildcats play at any of the home games, make plans to stay at University Inn Hotel, as we are the closest hotel, actually walking distance to the UK Commonwealth Stadium.
Commonwealth Stadium, named for the Commonwealth of Kentucky, is located on the campus of the University of Kentucky and is the home field for the school’s football team, replacing the smaller Stoll Field/McLean Stadium. The field is named C.M. Newton Field in honor of retired UK athletic director and former baseball and basketball player C.M. Newton.
*We are .7 miles (approximately 1 minute) from the Commonwealth Stadium.